Site Update (May 19 2013):
Additions and updates since 12 May 2012
Rifles - Competitive Edge Gunworks; Hill Country Rifles (338 LM rifle product review on RifleShooterMag.com); Rangemaster/RPA (I was just advised by Drake Associates that they have ceased importing for RPA...so, for the moment, I am listing RPA as “no known current US distributor”; hopefully that will change soon, since, based on what I saw at 2013 SHOT, they have an excellent product)
Rifle Components - B&T Enterprises (Atlas bipod review on LRH); Center Shot Rifles has sold the Muscle Brake (muzzle brake) product line/business to Piercision (no typo) Rifles, link revised accordingly
Training - Mountain Shooting Center (added web link, noted that, per the center owner, training is available at ranges up to 4200 meters)
Site Update (May 12 2013):
Additions and updates since 5 May 2012
Rifles - Coleman Rifles (custom builds), High Tech Customs (custom builds), Long Range Rifles (custom builds)
Rifle Components - ERA-TAC (scope bases and rings), March (multiple new/2013 scopes - specs here and here), Sierra 7 bipods now shipping. X-Treme Shooting Products (triggers)
Gunsmiths - Dark Eagle Custom (NY)
Ranges - Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (OR), Laramie Rifle Range (WY), Snake River Sportsmen (OR), Utah State Rifle & Pistol Association/Wendover (UT), Winnequah Gun Club (WI - up to 1500 yards); started highlighting capabilities beyond 1000 yards (bright green range value)
Training - Whittington U Precision Academy (NM - up to 3650 yards); started highlighting capabilities beyond 1000 yards (bright green range value)
Site Update (May 5 2013):
Additions and updates since 28 Apr 2012
Rifles - confirmed that CC International is the US distributor for Steel Core Designs (UK)
Products/Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Perry Systems/Exbal (removed - author has apparently passed and his site is being not maintained; a significant lose as this was a very well established and useful program); Rianov (see more products “here” for specs for the new CSI and SOLO products)
Products/Misc/Target Impact Viewing Systems - TargetVision
Ranges - Ben Avery (AZ), Del Norte Gun Club (NM), Yuma Rifle and Pistol Club (AZ)
Publications - Ken Howell’s “Design and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns” (reprints now available thru Huntington)
Site’s 2nd Year Anniversary recap (just below; MFR = memo for record)
MFR (1 May 2013) - this web site’s 2nd Year Anniversary
Below is a brief recap of what has changed/been added in the last 12 month (5000+ home page hits later):
Sections: Top level count (page count) unchanged but added subsections and content for:
Barrel Stress Relieving
ELR “Commercially-Available, Loaded Ammo”
Ranging and Target Solution Aids
Target Impact Viewing Systems
Rifles section - added 14 companies (now 121)
Rifle components section (companies with ELR-capable/focused rifle components) – added 62, in total, (now 220), including:
Action/receivers – added 3 (now 25)
Barrels – added 5 (now 23)
Barrel Stress Relieving (new sub-section) – 2
DBMs and Mags - added 3 (now 16)
Misc – all distributed to new sub-sections or other sections (pages)
Muzzle Brakes – added 3 (now 24)
Scope Bases and Rings: added 10 (now 25)
Scopes: added 3 (now 22) [no cheap, bargain-class brands]
Stocks and Bipods – added 15 (now 51)
Suppressors/Silencers (new sub-section) - 18
Triggers – no change (still 8)
Companies with ELR-capable/focused ammunition and/or ammunition components – added 37, in total, (now 98), including:
Ammunition, commercially-available (new sub-section, including a series of comprehensive, comparative matrixes for 11 cartridges, from 338 Edge thru 50 BMG) – 33
Brass – added 2 (now 23)
Bullets – added 2 (now 26)
Powder and Primers – unchanged at 9 and 7, respectively
Companies with reloading equipment items for ELR cartridges: added 5 (now 80)
Companies providing miscellaneous products generally focused on ELR type rifles/shooting (including the new sub-sections for “Ranging and Target Solution Aids” and “Target Impact Viewing Systems”) – added 27 (now 59)
Gunsmiths building ELR-capable rifles (some overlap to Rifles, included if they offer general gunsmithing services beyond rifle builds) – added 23 (now 61)
Ranges (out to at least 1000 yard – added 16 (now 46)
Retailer/e-tailers (general, broad-line companies with multiple products applicable to ELR shooting) – added 5 (now 42)
Training (out to distances of at least 1000 yards) – added 11 (now 44)
Cartridges (with definite long range focus and at least the muzzle energy of a 338 LM, max factory load) - added 18 (now 54)
Other info sites (associations and clubs, info sites and forums, legal, and pubs, articles and photos) - added 11 (now 53)
News – continuing with at least weekly site update recaps and new products info (including extensive SHOT Show recaps)
Site functionality added – none (soliciting suggestions)
So…another year later and a LOT more info. I do site-wide link checks about once every six months – one will be done shortly. During the year I have received only 1-2 e-mails about bad links. I’ve tried very hard to make this a solid resource for the ELR shooting community. Hope you’ve visited, checked it out at length, and found it worth bookmarking. I continue to be open for leads on companies, products, services, and info resources I’ve missed. I received probably 4-5 inputs during the year. PLEASE do let me know what you think of the site and pass the word if you feel it is worthwhile.
Site Update (Apr 28 2013):
Additions and updates since 21 Apr 2012
Rifles - CheyTac now offering builds with Cadex chassis
Rifle Components - added a section for “Barrel Stress Relieving”, initially with two suppliers; UTG/Leapers added a new full-featured bipod to their line, includes support for both Pic rails (QD) and swivel stud
Ammo & Ammo Components - Prvi Partizan added a 725 gr solid 50 cal projectile (B-429) to their line and the corresponding Match 50 BMG loaded ammo (A-595) - see their 2013 online catalog for details; TTI Armory (their website has not returned but I have added them back with limited availability through one reseller who is close to them)
Reloading Equipment - Ken Light Manufacturing (case prep/annealer)
Products/Misc - Impact Case & Container (rifle cases); RIEGL (rangefinders); Ziegel Engineering (rifle cases)
Ranges - Butterfield Shooting Range (NM)
Retailers/E-tailers - Botach Tactical
Site Update (Apr 21 2013):
Additions and updates since 14 Apr 2012
Rifles - CC International (removed reference to the availability of 14.5x114 Russian-based rifles - no longer listed, now aligned with Steel Core Designs of the UK for actions and barreled actions); Defensive Edge has finally updated their website with info on the Edge 338 +P and their LRKM rifle.
Rifle Components - K&P Gun Co. (barrels and clam shell muzzle brakes - this huge name in 50 BMG barrels finally has a website AND a January 2013 price list); Warne (scope bases and rings, incl QD), Whalen’s Precision Shooting (chassis)
Gunsmiths - Coyote Creek Armory (KY), Southern Precision Rifles (FL)
Ranges - removed Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex (range restrictions preclude the use a 338 LM class and more powerful rifles)
Training - Ronin Combat Strategies (TN), Match Grade Sniper School (NM)
Cartridges - updated the link for the 338 Edge +P; 338 Edge MK II
Site Update (Apr 14 2013):
Additions and updates since 7 Apr 2012
Rifles - Van Dyke Rifle Designs (multiple custom builds)
Rifle Components - Ase Utra introduced the “DUAL Fifty” suppressor at the 2013 IWA show (spec)
Gunsmiths - Straight Shooter Supply (OR)
Products/Misc - broke out “targets” into a separate group and added three suppliers, all with 50 BMG-capable products (Multiplex Systems/ShootSteel, Range Systems, and Salute Products)
Information/Legal - Federal Firearms License Search (ATFOnline - check the status of an FFL number)
Site Update (Apr 7 2013):
Additions and updates since 31 Mar 2012
Rifles - Zastava (M93 Black Arrow in 12.7x108)
Reloading Equipment/Bullet Coating and Prep - Machine Envy (hBN and moly coating materials/kits)
Site Update (31 Mar 2013):
Additions and updates since 24 Mar 2012
Rifle Components - Star Shooter/Canada (bipods)
Products/Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - JBM Ballistics (online trajectory and trajectory/drift calculators)
Products/Masc/Target “Impact” Viewing “Systems” - removed Pro Security Warehouse (no longer lists such products)
Gunsmiths - Elk Meadow Performance (UT)
Ranges - Marksmanship Training Center (MI), Young’s Long Shot Range (IN)
Site Update (24 Mar 2013):
Additions and updates since 17 Mar 2012
Rifles - ABT Rifle Systems (UK, custom builds, will export to the US), Ashbury Precision (375 SuperSport XLR in 375 CT, call), Drake Associates (Stalker McMillan 338LM, Stalker MK15)
Rifle Components - Rangemaster/RPA (actions - through Drake Associates)
Reloading Equipment - Quick Measure (powder measure for 50 BMG-size throws)
Products/Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Perry Systems (“Exbal” ballistic calculator software)
Site Update (17 Mar 2013):
Additions and updates since 10 Mar 2012
Rifles - LAR (Grizzly) removed (site “gone”)
Rifle Components - replaced the PAC-NOR barrel weight calculator with the one now on the McGowen/Hunter’s Run Gun Club site (more comprehensive and capable - seriously good tool); McGowen has also opened an online “outlet” (with Hunter’s Run Gun Club) for quick turn around barrels, including those in .338 caliber
Site Update (10 Mar 2013):
Additions and updates since 3 Mar 2012
Rifle Components - C & H Research (mercury recoil reducers), Choate (stocks), Schneider Rifle Barrels Ammo & Ammo Components - Cheyenne Brass (new ATK/Lake City 50 BMG brass)
Site Update (3 Mar 2013):
Additions and updates since 24 Feb 2012
Rifles - Beanland Custom Rifles (custom builds), Carrell’s Machine (custom builds)
Rifle Components - Precision Stock Works (stocks), Shark Precision (suppressors)
Gunsmiths - Beanland Custom Rifles (OK), Carrell’s Machine (ID)
Site Update (24 Feb 2013):
Additions and updates since 17 Feb 2012
Home page image updated (with permission), photo credit to Mr. Simon Lowe (UK)
Rifles - Cross Canyon Arms (added Custom Shop); removed Halo Arms (forming a partnership with another firm and may not be producing ELR models, such as their previous HA 50 FTR and Maximus, for some time); removed Patriot/Odessa Manufacturing (Patriot 50 not currently in production, planning on restarting production soon); added Superior Precision Rifles
Rifle Components - Ase Ultra (suppressors), Delta P Design (suppressors), Global Defense Initiative (scope base/rings/QD mount), KMW (POD-LOC for Harris bipods), Talbot QD Mounts (QD scope mounts)
Products/Misc - Field Firing Solutions/FFS (shooting solution software), Nikon (range finders)
Training - Black Hat Training Corps (PA), Magpul Dynamics (WA), STA Training Group (AZ)
Cartridges - Tejas 338, 375, 50 BMG (no details - sorry)
Site Update (17 Feb 2013):
Additions and updates since 10 Feb 2012
Products/Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Torrey Pines Logic (“Venom” Optical Crosswind Ballistic Measurement system - availability TBD - and VBS Ballistic Solver software application, currently available direct)
Products/Misc/Target “Impact” Viewing “Systems” - Target Sight, TargetCam
Site Update (10 Feb 2013):
Additions and updates since 3 Feb 2012
No changes or additions this week.
Site Update (3 Feb 2013):
Additions and updates since 27 Jan 2012
Rifle Components - “Miscellaneous” section (all off-rifle content redistributed to “Products - Miscellaneous” page); Muzzle Brakes (Anzio)
Products/Miscellaneous - received off-rifle content from “Rifle Components” page, established sub-categories and redistributed prior content, added “Ranging and Target Solution Aids” sub-section and populated it (16 items)
Retailers - SportOptics (scopes, range finders +)
Info/Pubs... - Added comparo pic link #5 (from the 2013 Nightforce catalog - 50 BMG, 114.5x114 Russian, and 20mm Vulcan - one of the nicest pics I’ve seen).
Site Update (27 Jan 2013):
Additions and updates since 20 Jan 2012
Rifles - CC International (added a model chambered in 14.5x114 Russian using a Truvelo/Spartan action)
Rifle Components - Accurate-Mag (SporT-Tact chassis system), CC International (Truvelo/Spartan actions up to 14.5x114 Russian-capable), PGW Defence Technologies (Canada)(suppressors), SAS (suppressors)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge (340 gr, .416 projectile - #MTH V15), Horneber (408 CT brass, thru Huntington on special order, min 1000), Magtech (338 LM loaded ammo - 250 gr SMK)
Gunsmiths - Moss Rifles (KS), Walker Custom Rifles (VA)
Site Update (20 Jan 2013):
Additions and updates since 13 Jan 2012 (other than the 2013 SHOT Show coverage, below):
Rifles - Sako (finally added a full-up, and civilian-accessible, site for Defense and LE - M10)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Horneber (updates site, adds 338 LM and 408 CT brass)
2013 SHOT Show® Day Three (17 Jan 2013) - bits and pieces on the “ELR-related”, my take (alpha order). This finishes coverage of this year’s show (took three days on the floor to see and report on everything and I’ve already identified things I missed - which I’ll link to below). I hope you have enjoyed the commentary and pics. And I hope you find my website useful. If you have content links you think “match” the focus of my site, PLEASE e-mail me at email@example.com. Thank you and God Bless!
1. AWC - introduced a shortened version of their T.H.O.R. PSR suppressor for .338. The new model is 6.25” long (my measurement) compared to the “current” 8” model.
2. Black Hills - asked them about 338 NM ammo sell through - “slow mover” (paraphrased).
3. Cutting Edge - introduced their “Extrended Range (ER) Raptor” line of tipped projectiles; specifically for ELR, the ER Rapter 338 in 176 gr. Info at https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ER_D176_RAPTOR.
4. F&D Defense - rolled out their “FD338” and its was looking GREAT! Other than the (IMHO) atypical Vigilance VR1 from EDM, and the Noreen (OnlyLongRange) “Bad News 338 Lapua ULR”, this is currently the only other semi-auto 338 “available”. Built in “The Great State of...”, first deliveries are expected to be in about 6 months. And...their pricing is about $500 under the Noreen (and about one-half that of the VR1). Frankly (repeating myself), the hardware looks seriously great. I’m looking forward to some third-party range reports. Pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10.
5. Feddersen - finally the plan is moving on getting the “big” barrels back on the “new” site (will now be a dual product line website, 10/22 and the real deal).
6. Kelbly’s - I confirmed their triggers are still available, to be added to the new site soon. Totally missed for the crowd was the really great news, “.338 Lapua Magnum Actions and Complete .338 LM Rifles.” Pic from AccurateShooter.com.
7. Kinetic - added a few items for their chassis system - overmoulded checkpiece, IMUNS mounting kit, and a new tripod adapter. While the largest version of their chassis, Wiskey 3, has been out a while, I couldn’t resist the chance for a few pics - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6.
8. Lazzeroni - has added a Saturn round (loaded ammo) with NP3-coated, 375/350 SMKs.
9. Micor Defense - finanally, in all its glory, the Micor Leader 50 (BMG) bullpup. One of the pics (#11) includes all the details, so...pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12. They are available direct-only for now (pre-order), distribution downstream, deliveries expected to begin in late Q2. Notes - a longer barrel option and a full length set of Pic-slots for the top rail are both already in discussion. The bipod pictured will be replaced with a more HD one.
10. NECO - has released the 20Dec2012 Data Update for QuickLOAD, QuickTARGET, and QuickTARGET Unlimited. Picked mine up at the show.
11. Pacific Tool and Gage (PTG) - for you Savage 110/338 LM fans, PTG has added a complete Savage LA bolt assembly (parts set) with “Nath Lambeth-inspired lift kit”. Smaller caliber bolt heads will, of course, also be available. MSRP: $300, delivery in about 4 weeks. Pic. Nath was in the booth and described what the “lift kit” is and does. [Paraphrased] The stock Savage cocking pin bottoms out in the bolt body, which sometimes results in a flyer. The kit provides Allen wrench-adjustment (rear entry) to move the full-forward travel of the cocking pin reward, to avoid bottom out. The kit also allows you to tension the firing pin and it reduces bolt lift pressure by 50-60%. PTG and Nath will both sell this product (another of the several products PTG sells of his). Nath also mentioned (1) he’ll be coming out with a Savage (and Remington) firing pin removal tool (as will PTG, by chance - totally different products except for what they do). It will also be distributed through PTG. (2) Late Q3/early Q4’13 - a 2 oz Savage trigger - “safe” and comparable to a Jewell (who currently doesn’t produce a trigger for the Savage). Nath noted that he regularly uses Basix triggers for Savage, for what that might tell you.
12. Prograde (website in development at www.progradeammo.com) - announced ELR-cartridge, loaded ammo products (shipping in the March timeframe):
338 LM - (Match Grade) 250 and 300 gr Berger Match VLD, 300 gr SMK; (Tactical Grade) 250 gr Lapua scenar, 285 gr Barnes TAC-X, 300 gr. Lapua scenar; (Hunting Grade) 225, 250, and 300 gr Nosler AccuBond, 280 gr Barnes LRX.
50 BMG - (Match Grade) 750 gr Barnes TAC-LRBT; (Tactical Grade) 647 gr Barnes TAC-X-BT, 750 gr Barnes TAC-LRBT
13. Sightron - showed 3 new 6-24x50 scopes (1) SII SS, SFP - March; (2) FFP, Mil - late March; (3) FFP, MOA - June.
14. Timney - introduced a Savage AccuTrigger replacement trigger - adjustable, single stage, 1.5-4# pull, no creep. Black (#638) for $110 and silver (nickel, #638-16) for $120. Pic #1, #2.
15. Vortex - Viper HS 6-24x50 scope, second focal plane, BDC reticle, “late Spring” (site says “Fall 2013”).
16. Wiseman (Bill) - notwithstanding what it says on his website (“rifles - coming”, with several pics), he is shipping rifles, up to 338 LM, now! [See the “Services - Gunsmiths” page.]
2013 SHOT Show® Day Two (16 Jan 2013) - bits and pieces on the “ELR-related”, my take (alpha order).
1. Accuracy International - see CORRECTION to info on Savage AICS in Day One report (below)
2. Accurate-Mags (AM) - Is now offering to civilians what it has been selling “elsewhere”, the “Accurate-Mags Special Service Rifle”. This a Rem 700-based or Savage 110-based rifle in 300 and 338 Norma Magnum. It uses AM’s XM2010 6 round double stacked mags (338 LM CIP length), is modular and adjustable, with folding stock. Pics #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8. They also had on display, a Rangemaster Precision Arms (RPA) “RPA Quadlock” action in 50 BMG - which I could not stop taking pictures of. Pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8. Why in the AM booth? “We are exploring a relationship. RPA is aready the exclusive distributor of AM mags in Europe.” Lets keep our fingers (and toes) crossed. An absolutely incredible action - and rifles, and triggers.
3. Bergara - I spoke with Mr. Mark Hendricks, VP of Techical Developemnt , for BPI Outdoors, which includes Bergara. He introduced me to the new “Bergara Heavy Tactical” with 338 LM option. That option is based on an action produced by Stiller for them plus Badger bottom DBM. This rifle includes a McMillan A4 stock. Badger rings are also an option. See pics and details (including MSRPs) at http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara-heavytactical-bcr19.php
4. Corbon - I inquired how their 338 NM ammo was selling and they basically said it isn’t - for lack of rifles shooting it. If only General Dynamics was in the civilian rifle making business. At least thefolks at Ashbury, DTA, Gunwerks, KMW (Terry Cross), McMillan, and Sergeon Rifles are offering models in 338 NM. I’ll try to remember to ask Black Hills tomorrow, the only other “current” supplier.
5. DTA pics - of the new SRS-A1,pic #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7. And of the integral scope base and ring set mentioned yesterday, pic #1, #2, #3.
6. H-S Precision - has added the “PLR” (professional long range) model in 338 LM (CIP lengh proprietary mags).
7. IOR/Valdada 5.8-40x56 model pics - #1, #2, #3, #4,
8. Magtech is listing 408 CT and 460 Steyr ammo in their catalog, “Extreme Perfrmance” line. They will be pushing CNC turned solids/solid HPs - no ballistics. When we’ll see them???
9. Norma - has just released 338 NM ammo (shipping almost immediately). One SKU (#20185272) pushing the 300 gr SMK.
10. Sako - 11 pages in their “Defense & Law Enforcement” catalog. The associated website is still restricted access. A couple pics, #1, #2.
11. Schmidt & Bender - introduced the “3.5-27x56 PM II High Power”, a 9X zoom, FFP scope; specs in English measure (weird) with MRAD total elevation adjustment of 36 MRADs (.1MRAD/click). Expected here in late Summer.
12. Sierra 7 Bipods - a brand new item stashed away in another manufacturer’s booth. Suffice to say, seriously SLICK! How slick? I’ve signed up for at least one (as I have for the new IOR/Valdada scope mentioned in these reports). [No “writer’s” price, no sweet deal, just regular-Joe price.] This bipod has dual locking handles, is super smooth, does both pan and cant, and includes a QD attach to a Pic rail. Pics - #1, #2, #3. More info and much better pics at http://www.sierra7bipods.com. Oh, and pricing...$325 MSRP (that’s $125 under the other great bipods shown all over the show floor, also without a booth).
13. TrackingPoint - well, it seems to be seriously real. A very substantial booth, four simulation stations, and plenty of interested prospects. I ran the drill and the only complaint I had was the initial scope reticle is the standard black color and you loose it on a dark target, like the black bear in the simulation I ran. So you really aren’t sure where you have tagged the target until you start the trigger pull and the bright orange (red?) “Tag” appears. I have pics (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6). Much more info is on the now-public website, www.tracking-point.com. Oh, you wanted a bit more info? They are offering three models, ranging in MSRP from $17K to $22K. That includes 200 rounds of “spec” (my term) ammo. Why mention ammo? Because they will be their customer’s sole source of ammo going forward (current plan). Why? Or the system will not work. Reloaders need not apply - at least if they were planning on tuning the rifle’s performance with reloads. Simply put, “ammo” is a critical element in the “science” of making this system work.
2013 SHOT Show® Day One (15 Jan 2013) - bits and pieces on the “ELR-related”, my take (alpha order). FYI, no pics today, tomorrow is my first floor pic day (code = PT, for pics tomorrow).
1. Accuracy International (AI) – they say, the Savage 110 (LA) AICS chassis “is in distribution NOW!” (PT). They say, the PSR system “should be available by Summer”. That was Day One, talking to person A. Day Two, Person A asks for confirmation from Person B, (paraphrased) “no such product, SA only, NO plans for LA”. That’s 20+ pics later . Suffice it to say, I was seriously irked!
2. Ashbury – their “reduced cost” Super-Sport series was heavily displayed, including a “pink” example (PT). Read aluminum vs carbon fiber. Pricing still TBD. A very nice looking 375 CT example was also on display (PT).
3. Badger – they are replacing their 2008 action with the new “2013” (M2013) model. All new builds will be to the 2013 spec. Differences – lighter bolt lift, some weight-reducing profiling, and +$200 to the pricing. A model of the 2013 will also support 338 LM CIP-length mags. They will begin shipping late Feb or early March.
4. Cadex Defense – nothing “new” BUT they have a “SHOT Show 25% OFF” deal going now through 1/18 on their chassis systems (full line) - www.cadexdefence.com.
5. Defiance Machine:
a. Was showing their “new” Deviant model in SA/LA – understand it as a Rebel with an integral 20 MOA rail…and an 8-9 week leadtime.
b. Confirmed their DBM product line is history - once current stocks are sold.
c. Said the CT and 50 BMG actions went away for cancelled orders and very lack-luster demand. Could the CT model return? Yes, if the customer base steps up. Do not hold your breath.
6. Desert Tactical – I spoke with honcho Nick Young:
a. Their very-recently released A1 version of their SRS rifle - in a capsule - provides an adjustable cheekpiece, modular forearm, and softer butt pad (PT). It will start shipping in March.
b. They announced a scope co-branding deal with Kahles, featuring a DTA-spec’d “Advance Milling Reticle (AMR)” for the K624i 6-24x56 model. The back side of that flyer (reticle display and dims) was barely legible. Some info on the scopes (not the reticle) is available at http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/accessories/optics/scopes.html.
c. They will be offering 408 CT and 416 Barrett barrel/bolt combos for the HTI rifle “system” this April. Yes, the HTI is in full production with about a 30 day leadtime.
d. They will be adding a line of scope rings with integral bases within a few months (PT).
e. On the DTM (munitions) side, they will be adding 408 CT and 416 Barrett offerings by Summer.
7. G.A. Precision (GAP) reaffirmed that all their rifles are “custom” and that they will engage with customers on rifles up to and including those in 50 BMG.
8. IOR/Valdada – introduced the 5.8-40x56 model scope (40mm tube, 125 MOA elevation (one-hundred and twenty-five MOA), true ED glass from the German optics manufacturer Schott, Zero-Stop, Xtreme MOA-X1 reticle, and a price point UNDER the just-released Nightforce B.E.A.S.T, about $3100, MAP. Tentative model name, “Crusader”. PT.
9. J. Allen Enterprises (JAE, www.jae700.com) – will release a Surgeon 1581XL (read “338 LM capable”)-based chassis system mid-year. It will use AI CIP length mags. While they are taking orders now, the projected delivery lead time is 10-12 months.
10. Oakwood Controls (VA) – showcased a radio frequency (OFDM)-based “electronic target solution for long range shooting” (Electronic Target System 1000). By “long range” they mean out to 20km (no typo, twenty kilometers)! [Correction, 2/3/2013 - per company management, the max is 15km.] It consist of:
a. A modular target frame with multiple acoustic sensors, and a fairly simple plastic corrugated target area (“something to shoot at”, 24”, or 36”, or 72” square),
b. A downrange “yellow box” sending unit cabled to the target frame,
c. A radio receiver,
d. A software application for instant display of captured data (shot number, x-y coordinates of each shot location (relative to the center of the target) on a PC-based simulated target image, plus a bunch more), and
e. (Currently) a ruggedized laptop PC.
NOTE – the round MUST still be supersonic as it passes the location of the sensors within the target frame, and they need the projectile diameter to “accurately” portray the shots on the screen. Shot position accuracy claimed within 2mm. The sensors could be positioned into a horizontal area about 4-5” high which MUST be protected (name your “protection” given your application – not provided). The frame is NOT ruggedized but “is relatively inexpensive to repair/replace” if its damaged.
While they do have a website (http://www.electronictargets.com), it has very minimal info, asking you to e-mail them for more. The flyer they had in the booth and the website say out to 1000 yards. Actually, the flyer says, “…at distances even beyond 1000 yards.” That was my first question, they replied (as note above), “out to 20km”.
Final note, the “current system” (with the ruggedized laptop and extensive suite - and used by the military and major arms manufacturers) runs in the $10-15K area…BUT by May they expect to offer a “personal” system with 36” target and software (no ruggedized laptop) for about $5K. I asked if the “personal” system could support multiple downrange targets but was advised it will be one-to-one only. Quite unclear whether they have put much time into considering “multiples”.
11. RUAG – in case you didn’t know it, they produce 338 LM ammo (and 50 BMG ammo – and 50 BMG case and primer components). Mr. John Mullins, VP of Government and Law Enforcement Sales for the US, advised they will accept retail orders for min quantity of 200 rounds of the 338 products in the ball and target versions. [No soap for any of the 50 BMG products.] He is the contact (www.ruag-usa.com).
12. Rock Creek – notwithstanding a recent home page announcement that they have stopped accepting cut rifling barrel orders, Mike Rock personally advised that they will accept orders from prior and current customers (NOT new customers), warning that there will be no leadtime commitment. They will fit you into the schedule as best they can.
13. Safety Harbor – within a very few months they will begin offering 338 LM versions of their AR15 upper conversions, single shot and mag-fed (CIP length). They will be doing their own mags.
14. Serbu – they are in production of their BFG-50A semi-auto 50 BMG rifle with a three month leadtime for rifles and a three week leadtime for receivers. I asked about a 50 DTC version for CA and they said they have already delivered one (1) - a non-trivial “arrangement” is required (IMHO).
15. Vortex – has added a 10 MRAD/turn version of their Razor HD 5-20x50 FFP model scope.
SHOT Show® Media Day at the Range™ (14 Jan 2013) - bits and pieces re ELR, my take away (alpha order), with a very brief intro, VERY COLD and windy!
1. ArmaLite – AR-50A1, National Match version, one year ago I asked when this model would be back in stock and was told, “Shortly”. Today, after NEVER seeing this model listed as “in stock” during weekly website checks over the last year, I was told that 2013 is sold out and that any orders placed now will be delivered in 2014!
2. Corbon - I spent several freezing minutes with the very personable, Mr. Jeff Wall (Skipper), the Director of Corbon’s Civilian and Law Enforcement Training Center (CTC). He advised that by July they will have completed and opened their long distance training range (steel with known and unknown distances to 1200m). It will be located, as their other ranges, in Sturgis, SD. Their ranges will be open to the public on non-training days. There will also be a Pro Shop with firearms, accessories, and gunsmithing services.
3. JARD - was showing the expected-mid-year-release “J51” rifle (semi-auto, gas-operated, mag-fed (5 rds), 30” barrel, rotating bolt with 15 lugs, 50 BMG, and their massive, in-house-developed brake). Pic #1, #2, #3 (the hand guard will be longer, completely covering the gas system, with ventilation holes). Production is pending capacity availability during the current “AR15 craze”.
4. TrackingPoint - “The Future is Now!”, “1000 Yards Made Easy!” More in the coming days on this series of rather remarkable “Precision Guided Firearm” systems. For now, see their just-opened website, www.tracking-point.com.
Site Update (13 Jan 2013):
Additions and updates since 6 Jan 2012:
Rifles - McMillan (EOL Mountain Extreme Denali and Yukon, both in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Accurate-Mag (stock/chassis systems); Defiance (Deviant action); DTA (SRS-A1 Rifle Chassis)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge (338, 176 gr ER Raptor, tipped solid); Dynamic Research (after site problems and a simple rebuild, but specs have been removed; appears same products remain, call)
Ranges - Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex (CO); Williamsport is listing 3 FCSA matches for 2013
Site Update (6 Jan 2013):
Additions and updates since 30 Dec 2012:
Rifle Components - Nightforce introduced three new scopes (15-55×52 Competition, ATACR™ (Advanced Tactical Riflescope) 5-25×56, and 5-25×56 F1 B.E.A.S.T - the last two with 120 MOA elevation).
Site Update (30 Dec 2012):
Additions and updates since 23 Dec 2012:
Rifles - Ashbury S.E.F.R. (SABRE Enhanced Factory Rifle) based on Savage 110BA in 338 LM
Site Update (23 Dec 2012):
Additions and updates since 16 Dec 2012:
Rifle Components - R Bros (Rogue repeater action)
Site Update (16 Dec 2012):
Additions and updates since 9 Dec 2012:
Rifle Components - GSeven (scopes)
Info/Publications - NBRSA has added a FREE eZine of their monthly print publication, Precision Rifleman
Site Update (9 Dec 2012):
Additions and updates since 2 Dec 2012:
Rifles - Montana Rifle Company (new models - MMR and MTR - not yet on their website)
Ammo & Ammo Components - DAG (50 BMG military brass - produced by RWS in Switzerland)
Site Update (2 Dec 2012):
Additions and updates since 25 Nov 2012:
Info/Publications - KGI (Knesek Guns) Blog
Site Update (25 Nov 2012):
Additions and updates since 18 Nov 2012:
Rifles - Ashbury Precision Ordnance (TCR - Tactical Competition Rifle); RW Snyder (Long Range Tactical); Sero (M6 Lynx pdf); Thor (removed 416 Barrett offering, no longer listed); TrackingPoint (XS1 Precision Guided Firearm - coming 1/15/2013); Weatherby (removed Mark V Synthetic, no longer listed); Zbroyar (dropped since the Z-008 line appears gone)
Rifle Components - added a Suppressors/Silencers sub-section; BAT (now lists a “CT” model single-shot action with 338 LM and CheyTac bolt faces - other than the bolt face, the only apparent difference from the model M, which is no longer offered with a CT bolt face, is the larger barrel thread, 1.187x16 vs 1.125x16); McRee Precision (dropped from Muzzle Brake sub-section, no longer lists such products)
Ammo & Ammo Components - I finally dropped Scorpion (bullets). As best I know, they never reached production. In any case, they never moved beyond a “coming soon” web page. Our loss as their product sure looked interesting.
Reloading Equipment - PMA Tool (case prep)
Products/Misc - Pacific Tool and Gauge is now offering 338 LM replacement bolt heads for Savage and Remington 700 bolt bodies with 338 LM bolt face
Gunsmiths - Doan Trevor (NM)
Ranges - Forbes Rifle & Pistol Club (NY)
Site Update (18 Nov 2012):
Additions and updates since 11 Nov 2012:
Rifles - Harris Gunworks (“Combo 50” added), H-S Precision (SPR and VTD added), Ishmash (“Record 338”), KMW (added 338 NM option to Long Sword model)
Rifle Components - Benchmark Barrels now has their own website, Mastin Custom Stocks (stocks), Steve Jennings Stocks (stocks), True-Flite (barrels and stocks)
Gunsmiths - Area 419 Firearms (OH)
Publications - Precision Shooting closes its doors effective 16 Nov 2012
Site Update (11 Nov 2012):
Additions and updates since 4 Nov 2012:
Rifles - ArmaLite announced new 338 LM models (AR 30A1B338, AR30A1BT338 - AR-30M338 no longer listed)
Site Update (4 Nov 2012):
Additions and updates since 28 Oct 2012:
Rifles - ArmaLite has added a 416 Barrett version of the AR-50A1
Gunsmiths - Chesebro Rifles website launched
Site Update (28 Oct 2012):
Additions and updates since 21 Oct 2012:
Rifles - added 338 Norma Magnum legend/breakout; Gunwerks (Magnus and Verdict); Weatherby (Mark V Accumark RC - so far only the press release)
Rifle Components - US Optics has advised that the legendary SN-9 scope has been discontinued (and removed from their website) “but we may build them again in the future.”
Retailers/E-tailers - Great Scott Shooters (GSS) added as a source for Jewell triggers.
Site Update (21 Oct 2012):
Additions and updates since 14 Oct 2012:
Rifles - BlackOps Precision (removed Infidel - temporarily unavailable, new “game-changer” model in development), DTA (SRS now also available in 338 Norma Magnum, HTI now also available in 408 CT and 416 Barrett (again))
Ammo & Ammo Components - Desert Tactical Munitions (ammo also now available in 375 CT and 50 BMG - matrix updated)
Retailers/E-tailers - Lafayette Shooters
Site Update (14 Oct 2012):
Additions and updates since 7 Oct 2012:
New tech - Tracking Point “system”, see videos here and here. They are exhibiting at SHOT but are NOT listed as an exhibitor for “Media Day at the Range”.
Cartridges (10 Oct 2012) - the 416 Barrett reamer drawing (from Pacific Tool and Gage) has been removed from the line notation but not from the drawing package (not separable). See footnote ** on the Cartridges page.
Site Update (7 Oct 2012):
Additions and updates since 30 Sep 2012:
Rifles - Bluegrass Armory (Viper available in .510 DTC Europ); removed Bushmaster BA50 Carbine (discontinued)
Cartridges - 338 Little Dave (from Austria, WIP on properly stamped brass from Jamison); 408 Tejas (added drawing from CH4D)
Site Update (30 Sep 2012):
Additions and updates since 23 Sep 2012:
Rifles - Accuracy International (AW338 rifles fazed out and replaced by AX338 rifles); removed Blaser (the Tactical 2 rifle is now only being imported by Sig Sauer, that rifle is already listed under Sig Sauer, and there is no info on this rifle on the current Blaser site)
Site Update (23 Sep 2012):
Additions and updates since 16 Sep 2012:
Rifles - CC International (Tiger and Hammerhead series); Surgeon adds 338 Norma Magnum in Remedy line
Miscellaneous - Strong Case (rifle cases)
Gunsmiths - Hart Rifle Barrels (NY), MT Guns is now Chesebro Rifles (CA)
Publications - Brian Litz (Applied Ballistics) released a new book, “Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting”
Site Update (16 Sep 2012):
Additions and updates since 9 Sep 2012:
Gunsmiths - Baity’s Custom Gunworks (NC)
Another cartridge comparo pic (50 BMG, Anzio 20/50, and 20mm Vulcan - on the Pubs... page, courtesy of Simon Lowe, UK)
Captech International (10 Sep 2012) - Jamison (brass, loaded ammo, and projectiles) returns as “Captech International”, article here.
I just received (12 Sep AM) an e-mail from Captech, responding to my inquiries regarding availability and other products:
“1. The CT brass should be available in 60 days.
2. We will have ammo also but we are still working on development but our goal is 60 days also.
3. The turned projectiles will be 90 days.”
They added in response to my inquiry about quality, “our brass is typically a 2 to 1 ratio on the reloads as compared to other brands of the same caliber.”
“Jamison” will continue as their headstamp.
Site Update (9 Sep 2012):
Additions and updates since 2 Sep 2012:
Gunsmiths - Dan’s Custom Gun Service (NC), West Texas Ordnance (TX)
Site Update (2 Sep 2012):
Additions and updates since 26 Aug 2012:
Rifle Components - Aadland Engineering (scope bases and rings), Elite Iron (bipods), Roedale (muzzle brakes and scope mounting systems)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Alliant RL 33 now shipping (powders)
Reloading Equipment - Berger (load data; just released their first reloading manual)
Site Update (26 Aug 2012):
Additions and updates since 19 Aug 2012:
No changes or additions this week.
Site Update (19 Aug 2012):
Additions and updates since 12 Aug 2012:
Rifles - Barker Machine Works (barreled actions and complete rifles)
Rifle Components - removed Defiance Renegade and Titan actions (no longer available)
Training - North Texas Rifle Precision (TX)
Site Update (12 Aug 2012):
Additions and updates since 5 Aug 2012:
Rifle Components - Defiance Machine (DBMs)
Ammo & Ammo Components - McMillan (50 BMG ammo); Ted Nugent (50 BMG ammo); TTI Armory (removed listing - website gone/out of business?)
Gunsmiths - Bryant Custom (TX)
Site Update (5 Aug 2012):
Additions and updates since 29 Jul 2012:
Rifles - Safety Harbor (new site, new links)
Training - Accuracy 1st Training and Consulting (TX and UT)
Site Update (29 Jul 2012):
Additions and updates since 22 Jul 2012:
Rifles - Arrington Accuracy (custom builds)
Site Update (22 Jul 2012):
Additions and updates since 15 Jul 2012:
Rifle Components - added Montana Professional Hunter to the 408 CT matrix as a single shot (actions/receivers); Barker Machine Works (brakes); referred Lone Wolf Rifle Stocks as they are now part of Proof Research (stocks)
Ammo & Ammo Components - removed A-Square items/338 Excalibur (out of business?)
Reloading Equipment - Accuracy One (aids - concentricity gauge); Little Crow Gunworks (case prep)
Site Update (15 Jul 2012):
Additions and updates since 7 Jul 2012:
Rifles - Northwest Action Works (RAMROD Hunter, RAMROD Tactical)
Ammo & Ammo Components - updated CheyTac ammo, brass, and projectile links/info)
Gunsmiths - Kampfeld Custom (MI), Northwest Action Works (OR)
Cartridges - 338 Norma Magnum (article)
Site Update (8 Jul 2012):
Additions and updates since 1 Jul 2012:
Rifles - Predator Custom Shop (338 LM Ultra Match, M24A3 338 LM)
Gunsmiths - Deadly Precision Gunsmithing (UT), Predator Custom Shop (TN)
Site Update (1 Jul 2012):
Additions and updates since 24 Jun 2012:
Ammo & Ammo Components - Barnes 338 Tipped TSX BT in 185, 210, and 225
Gunsmiths (Wolf Precision (PA)
Ranges - Tulsa Red Castle Range (OK)
Retailers/E-tailers - Southern Precision Rifles (Bugholes)
Training - Wolf Precision (PA)
Cartridges - 14.9x102mm SOP (changed to YouTube video, added pic of test rifle)
Info/Info - Denel-Mechem NTW-20mm Anti-Material Rifle
Site Update (24 Jun 2012):
Additions and updates since 17 Jun 2012:
Rifles - Ace Precision Rifle Systems/Australia (LR Precision Series), Venom Tactical (Copperhead, Taipan)
Ammo & Ammo Components - loaded ammo matrix updated (460 Steyr and 50 BMG tabs)
Ranges - Bayou Rifles (TX)
Cartridges - added “338 Norma Magnum 40° Improved”; added Pacific Tool and Gauge-provided reamer drawings of the “338 Norma Magnum” and “338 Norma Magnum 40° Improved”
Site Update (17 Jun 2012):
Additions and updates since 10 Jun 2012:
Cartridges - added pic and blog link for 14.9x102mm SOP; added CH4D-provided drawings of 338-408 CT, 338 LM Imp. (3), 375 CT, 375 CT Imp., 375-50, 408 CT (2), 408 CT Imp., 50 BMG, 50 DTC-EDM, 50 DTC Europ, 50/20mm (M-103) PAC-NOR, 50 McMurdo, 50 Spotter, 50 Vulcan, and 55 Boyes.
ELR “Commercially-Available, Loaded Ammo” Section Added:
I have just expanded the ELR-Resources.com Ammunition Components page to include a section for “Ammo (commercially-available, loaded ammo)” – a supplier listing (31) and a “comparative matrix” by cartridge. The data were compiled from supplier web sites.
Cartridges included (in tabbed worksheets with tabs along the bottom) are (number of loads listed):
338-378 Weatherby (9)
338 Edge (2)
338 Excalbur (2)
338 Lapua Magnum (41)
338 Norma Magnum (2)
8.59 (.338) Titan (3)
375 CheyTac (5)
375 Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM)(9)
378 Weatherby (5)
408 CheyTac (9)
416 Barrett (7)
460 Steyr (1)
50 BMG (34)
[Suggested additions are welcome.]
Data for each listing (as available and applicable):
Projectile (wt, type, matl)
Muzzle Velocity (MV)
Muzzle Energy (ME)
MV Barrel Length
Recommend Twist (very few had this info)
Web Link (URL)
Site Update (10 Jun 2012):
Additions and updates since 3 Jun 2012:
Rifles - Aztek Arms, Mike’s Gun Sales & Service (338 NM specialists)
Rifle Components - Alpine Gunworks (stocks), Aztek Arms (actions, brakes, DBMs)
Reloading Equipment/Aids - FFS/Delta (ballistic software)
Reloading Equipment/Dies - M2 Precision (50 BMG Match Bullet Seater)
Cartridges - 338 Norma Magnum (article/review), 375 RUM
Site Update (3 Jun 2012):
Additions and updates since 27 May 2012:
Rifle Components - Ken Farrell (scope bases and rings); McRees Precision (muzzle brakes); receiver matrixes consolidated into a single spreadsheet (for ease of maintenance)
Ammunition Components - Sierra 350 gr/375 bullets; bullets/projectiles matrixes consolidated into a single spreadsheet (for ease of maintenance)
Site Update (27 May 2012):
Additions and updates since 20 May 2012:
Rifles - removed Arsenal as US source for Zbroyar
Rifle Components - Grodas Riflestocks (Norway) (stocks), removed Rock Creek as a manufacturer of bipods (line dropped)
Gunsmiths - Accurate Ordnance (GA)
Training - Premier Rifle Academy (CA)
Cartridges - added important general footnote
Info/Forums - Long Range Hunting (ELR-specific forum), Sniper’s Hide (ELR-specific forum)
Site Update (20 May 2012):
Additions and updates since 13 May 2012:
Completed site-wide links check.
Rifles - Proof Research (Tactical II)
Rifle Components - added action “type” color coding to Actions/Receivers section.
Site Update (13 May 2012):
Additions and updates since 6 May 2012:
Rifles - page links checked, added more model-level links, and revised to add color coding for “type” (repeater, repeater or single shot, and semi-auto - no color = single shot only); removed AMSD as the SAN 511/Nemesis is now produced by Swiss Arms
Site Update (6 May 2012):
Additions and updates since 29 Apr 2012:
Rifles - Desert Toys (removed - site is 403, Forbidden); F&D Defense (confirmed, in response to my e-mail inquiry, that they will have a California-compliant configuration of their upcoming “FD338” 338 LM semi-auto); OnlyLongRange/Noreen (confirmed, in response to my e-mail, that they have available a California-compliant version of the “Bad News” 338 LM semi-auto); RMC Manufacturing (barreled actions only); SAI (Denmark, CSR-50)
Rifle Components - Classic Barrel (barrels); McCann Industries (scope bases); MPI Stocks (stocks)
Retailers/E-tailers - Wolverine Supplies
Training - K&M Precision Rifle Training (FL)
Associations - North Coast Shooters Association (NCSA)
MFR (1 May 2012) - web site’s 1st Year anniversary. Recap from LRH and SH posts:
“I came on this forum on May 1, 201 1 to announce the launch of “a non-commercial, extreme long range (ELR) information site”, www.elr-resources.com. “It provides links to products, services, and information for ELR shooters and anybody interested, as I am, in this area…”
Below is a brief recap of what it was on day one vs what it is today, 7500+ home page hits later.
Sections: Then: 13; now: 15 (added “Training” and “News”)
Companies with model-name rifles and/or explicit builds in ELR cartridges i.e., ones listed on the Cartridges page): Then: 50 (estm); now: 107
Rifle component subsections: Then: 8; now: 9 (added “DBMs and Mags”)
Companies with ELR-capable/focuses rifle components: Then: 60 (estm); now: 158 including:
Action/receivers: 22 [plus three comparative matrixes based on bolt face – 338 LM, 408 CT, and 50 BMG – 50 actions in all]
DBMs and Mags: 13
Muzzle Brakes: 21
Scope Bases and Rings: 15
Scopes: 19 [no cheap, junk-class brands]
Stocks and Bipods: 36
Companies with ELR-capable/focused ammunition components (not ammo): Then: 40 (estm); now: 61 including 21 brass and 24 bullets/projectiles [plus four comparative projectile matrixes based on caliber- 338, 375, 408-458, and 510]
Companies with reloading equipment items for ELR cartridges: Then: 50 (estm); now: 75
Companies providing miscellaneous products generally focused on ELR type rifles/shooting: Then: 20 (estm); now: 32
Gunsmiths building ELR-capable rifles (some overlap to Rifles, included if they offer general gunsmithing services beyond rifle builds): Then: 18-20 (estm); now: 38
Ranges (out to at least 1000 yard): Then: 18-20 (estm); now: 3 [including info on whether 50 BMG rifles are allowed]
Retailer/e-tailers (general, broad-line companies with multiple products applicable to ELR shooting): Then: 20-25 (estm); now: 37
Training: Then: 0; now: 33
Cartridges (with definite long range focus and at least the muzzle energy of a 338 LM, max factory load): Then: 20-25 (estm); now: 36 [plus 15 chamber reamer drawings from Pacific Tool and Gage]
Other info sites (associations and clubs, info sites and forums, legal, and pubs, articles and photos): Then: 30 (estm); now: 42
News: Then: 0; now: weekly site update info and new products info (e.g., SHOT Show recaps) since early June 2011.
Site functionality added – site-wide navigation links at the top of every page, site-wide search, color coded tags for major cartridge/caliber info in rifles, actions, DBMs and mags, and brass.
So… one year later and a LOT more info.
I update the site at least once a week and do site-wide link checks about once every six months – one will be done shortly. During the year I have received only 1-2 e-mails about bad links.
I’ve tried very hard to make this a solid resource for the ELR shooting community. Hope you’ve visited, checked it out at length, and found it worth bookmarking.
I continue to be open for leads on companies, products, services, and info resopurces I’ve missed. I received probably 10-12 inputs during the year.
PLEASE do let me know what you think of the site and pass the word if you feel it is worthwhile.”
Site Update (29 Apr 2012):
Additions and updates since 22 Apr 2012:
Rifles - Center Shot Long Range Training
Rifle Components - Action/Receiver matrixes updated (338 - added Barker M24, more specs for Nesika; 408 - more specs for Barker); Muzzle Brakes and More (muzzle brakes), Schmidt & Bender (scopes)
Ammunition Components - Quality Cartridges (brass)
Training - Center Shot Long Range Training (replaced e-mail address with web link)
Cartridges - 338 Norma Magnum
Site Update (22 Apr 2012):
Additions and updates since 15 Apr 2012:
Rifle Components - A.R.M.S. (scope bases and rings)
Ranges - Hawks Ridge (NC)
Site Update (15 Apr 2012):
Additions and updates since 8 Apr 2012:
Rifle Components - Actions/Receivers (added side-by-side comparative matrixes based on bolt face - separate matrixes for 338 LM, 408 CT, and 50 BMG - 49 products in all)
Site Update (8 Apr 2012):
Additions and updates since 1 Apr 2012:
Rifles - Brugger & Thomet (added links for APR Sniper System and 21 pg PDF spec)
Rifle Components - Seekins now includes 338 LM CIP length (DBM); Steiner (scopes)
Ranges - Show Me Benchrest Shooters Association (MO) - confirmed “50 BMG OK”
Site Update (1 Apr 2012):
Additions and updates since 25 Mar 2012:
Rifles- Surgeon (Remedy XL in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Barker Machine (receiver pricing released - incredibly LOW, and they include scope rail and recoil lug), Pacific Tool and Gage (DBM)
Ammunition Components - High Tech Ammunition (mil surplus powder), Jeff Bartlett (mil surplus powder)
Products/Misc - Bear Track Cases (rifle cases)
Ranges - Oak Ridge Sportmen’s Club (TN), Pascagoula Shooting Club (MS), Show Me Benchrest Shooters Association (MO), Vapor Trail Valley Club (MO)
Training - K&M Outfitters (OK)
Site Update (25 Mar 2012):
Additions and updates since 18 Mar 2012:
Gunsmiths - Vestal`s Gunsmithing & Custom Rifles (VA)
Ranges - Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club confirmed OK for 50 BMG (but not on the club’s steel)
Training - Mountain Shooting Center (UT)
Site Update (18 Mar 2012):
Additions and updates since 11 Mar 2012:
Rifles - Cross Canyon Arms (Tejas), JRS Custom Firearms (LR1136), Michael Cuypers Riflemaker,
RW Snyder (ELR Rifles), Shurley Brothers Custom Rifles, Snowy Mountain (updated site/models)
Rifle Components - Roedale (stocks), RWS/PDC (muzzle brakes), Shurley Brothers Custom Rifles (stocks), Snowy Mountain (actions - updated site/models), Victory Company/Viperskins (stocks)
Ammunition Components - Berger (bullets - added 338, 250 gr hybrid), KGI (408 CT brass)
Site Update (11 Mar 2012):
Additions and updates since 4 Mar 2012:
Rifles - Defensive Edge (LRKM), F&D Defense (FD338), FN USA (Ballista link), Orsis/Russia (SE Alpine, SE T-5000)
Rifle Components - Accuracy International “NEW Pistol Grip and Thumbhole Stocksides for AE / AW and AICS are now available” - see here; LaRue Tactical (scope bases and rings); Murphy Precision (scope bases and rings); Spuhr (scope bases and rings); Stiller Precision (added Predator Xtreme - only diff from TAC338 is color - std SS vs black, respectively - and the name); Third Eye Tactical (scope bases and rings)
Ammunition Components - Cutting Edge (bullets - added .510 solids)
Ranges - San Bernardino County, California “Recreational Shooting & Hunting Areas Map”; Williamsport has added 4 FCSA (50 Call) matches for 2012
Site Update (4 Mar 2012):
Additions and updates since 26 Feb 2012:
Ammunition Components - additional Cutting Edge bullets in 338 and 375; additional Thunder Ammo 408 and 416 bullets
Ranges - Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club (CA)
TriTech Training (1 Mar 2012) - added update on their muzzle brakes.
Site Update (26 Feb 2012):
Additions and updates since 19 Feb 2012:
Rifles - RND (added 416 Barrett offering), Truvelo (2011 catalog link added); Whidden Gunworks
Rifle Components - Barker Machine Works (DBM), Black Diamond/Dave Viers (CheyTac DBM and mags), Trijicon (scopes)
Gunsmiths - Classic Barrel and Gun Works (AZ), Whidden Gunworks (GA)
Info/Photos - added two more side-by-side cartridge comparison photos (now thru 14.5x114 Russian)
Site Update (19 Feb 2012):
Additions and updates since 12 Feb 2012:
Rifles - Desert Tactical Arms/DTA (they have dropped the 408 CT and 416 Barrett offerings)
Rifle Components - Baer Custom Rifles (DBM)
Ammunition Components - Nosler (338 AccuBond)
Site Update (12 Feb 2012):
Additions and updates since 5 Feb 2012:
Rifles - Remington Defense (2012 catalog link); Steel Core Designs (UK)
Rifle Components - Remington RACS; I have started on a “DBM and Mags” subsection. It will be expanded as I continue my research. It does NOT list items which are product-specific to brands of actions or stocks/chassis systems/associated rifles but rather refers visitors to those listings. Links to other products would be appreciated - send to webmaster at elr.resources.com.
Gunsmiths - McWhorter Custom Rifles (GA)
Cartridges - 408 CT thru 14.5x114 comparo pic; 408 Tejas
Information Sites - cartridge collector associations listing; European Cartridge Research Association (E.C.R.A.)
Defiance Machine (8 Feb 2012) - info updates per Josh Gleason, National Sales Manager:
Renegade (408 CheyTac) actions - the plan for 2012 is to build 600 of these actions; only options will be, a) single shot or repeater, b) right or left hand bolt, and c) bolt fluting; hoping for sales to individuals during the first half of the year; OAL is 10.121”.
Titan (50 BMG) actions - all 2012 production will be distributed exclusively through Proof Research (the “new” Advanced Barrel Systems (ABS)); options same as Renegade; their site incorrectly states that there is a Medium and a Long length, there will only be one length, 11.915” (copy error, not plan change). See below re Proof’s rollout.
Rebels and Mutants (both supporting up to 338 LM - the 338 LM Mutants being Rebels specifically configured for the Eliseo/CSS RTM long box chassis) - full range of options (within the constraints of the RTM chassis for the Mutants), most options do NOT affect the cost - fluting, recoil lugs, ejectors, scope rails DO affect pricing; lead times expected to be 60-90 days; Rebels account for about 90% of the company’s overall shipment volume.
DBM designs are still expected within 30-60 days.
Further questions should be referred to Defiance at (406)756-2727.
HSM (8 Feb 2012) - T50 long range solid projectiles again SKU’d up in 338, 375, and 408 (see the associated revised projectile matrixes) dated 8 Feb 2012; as these models go in and out of being listed, the matrixes will continue to list them even though at any particular point in time they may not be listed on the HSM site - call.
Proof Research (8 Feb 2012) - info per Jeff Badelt, National Sales Director:
In regards distribution of the Defiance Machine’s Titan (50 BMG) actions - confirmed configuration options noted above; Q1 deliveries will be repeaters, the single shot version coming in Q2; several full builds (rifles) already on the books, shortly expecting initial delivery of actions from Defiance; expects to have sufficient volume to support the sale of individual actions (vs rifles) sometime in the first half of the year; pricing being decided this week; FYI, Defiance is about two miles down the road from Proof.
Further questions should be referred to Proof at (406)756-9290.
Site Update (5 Feb 2012):
Additions and updates since 29 Jan 2012:
Rifles - Black Diamond (Viersco) site update; Blue Grass Armory site update; dropped Les Baer as they have ceased offering bolt action rifle (no time given the volume of pistols and semi-auto rifle business)
Rifle Components - Barker Machine Works (actions), BAT Machine (added muzzle brakes), Horus Vision (scopes and misc/Angle Slope Level Indicator)
Gunsmiths - Carolina Precision Rifles (SC), Clark Fay (NM)
Cartridges - Dave Viers updates the 375 VM to 375 VM2
Retailers - Able Ammo, CheyTac Rifle/KGI
Site Update (29 Jan 2012):
Additions and updates since 22 Jan 2012:
Rifles - 10X Custom Rifles, AI’s AX338 SHOT Show demo (video), McMillan (TAC-416 and new TAC-50 model specs), Robar SR60 and SR90 (both with 338LM upgrade)
Rifle Components - Millet (scopes and rings)
Reloading - CH4D total site remake + Rock Crusher link + CH4D cartridge list (use the shell holder # search to find wildcats and variants that MAY fit the same bolt face); Lee introduced a 338LM die set
Products Misc - Combat Disabled Veterans Surplus (surplus brass incl 12.7 Russian, 14.5mm, 20mm)
Gunsmiths - 10X Custom Rifles, Newman Precision, Wyatt’s Outdoor
Training - Center Shot Long Range Training (added pics)
Site Update (22 Jan 2012):
Additions and updates since 15 Jan 2012 - beyond the SHOT Show items below:
Rifles - ArmaLite AR-30 and AR-50 pics; SIG Sauer Tactical 2 (2012 catalog); Steyr SSG-08 338 Lapua + HS 460 and HS 50 pics
Rifle Components - American Precision Arms (muzzle brakes), Burris (Eliminator III scope, July 2012); Elite Iron (muzzle brakes); OPS Inc (muzzle brakes)
Training - Sniper Country (UT)
SHOT Show® Day 2 (18 Jan 2012) - bits and pieces re ELR, my take away (partial, alpha order):
1. Accurate Mag Products - 3.850” (CIP long action), double stack, single feed bottom metal kit in 338 LM (shipping now, also a single stack version for Savage BA); they are “tooling now” for their upcoming (EOY 2012), patent-pending, “the insert weapon” chassis system (which uses an “intermediate block” with integrated trunnion lug receivers to hold the barreled action in place - two trunnions are integrated into the chassis; uses v-block-style inserts to adapt the BA to the intermediate block; in place, but not locked down, the barreled action swivels around the trunnions). Pics - #1, #2, #3.
2. American Rifle Company - M10 rings (“recoil proof”)
3. CAMDEX (how Hornady and others load ammo, including 50 BMG). Pics - #1, #2, #3, #4.
4. Colorado Gun Sales - now importing Swiss Arms’ “SAN 511 Precision Rifle” (50 BMG). Pics - #1 (triple lug), #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9.
5. CZ - 550 Magnum H.E.T. (not new). Pic.
6. Defiance Machine - new website (partial specs and limited pics) and new actions - info not on website:
“Titan” - 50 BMG-based, .920” bolt, 1.70” OD, MSRP: $3000. Pics - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6.
“Renegade” - 408 CT-based, .80” bolt, 1.47” OD, MSRP: $1750. Pics - #1, #2, #3.
Each action built to customer spec as to option set with MANY options available.
Taking orders NOW, expects 60-90 day delivery. Prices same for single shot and receiver.
In-house designed and manufactured DBMs in 1-2 months - ambi mag release inside lower, front of guard; unique tensioning pin/mechanism to stop mag rattle, EDM’d for fit.
7. Eberlestock - Model 11 Stealth Rifle Chassis system. Pics - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7.
8. FNH USA – “Ballista”. Pics - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5.
9. J. Allen Enterprises - “JAE-700 Precision Rifle Stock”
10. Kensight - 700 SA/RA chassis system (future product - info only, no pics or specs)
11. Krieger - has added 338 caliber to their 5-R rifling offerings, effective immediately (they noted this is a based on customer demand, not any demonstrated performance improvement)
12. Manners Composite Stocks (MCS) - MCS-TF (Tactical Folder), newly released. Pic.
13. McMillan - “TAC” updates:
TAC-50 A1 - 5” longer forend, option for vertical cheekpiece adjustment; smaller pistol grip; lighter, more adjustable, and sturdier bipod
TAC-50-A1-R2 - features a “hydraulic recoil mitigation system” (hydraulic piston in the buttstock) which “reduces the peak recoil from the 50 BMG cartridge by approximately 90%”.
TAC-416 (say Hello, California!) - same spec as TAC-50-A1 except 416 Barrett, 1 in 13 twist, optional 30” light contour barrel (29” Navy contour standard), single shot only. Pics - #1, #2.
14. Remington - belatedly added XCR Tactical Long Range in 338 LM (was advised at the show that the online info is incorrect and that this model has been available for some time). Of note, Badger DBM, timed muzzle brake, three (3) very wide flutes in the barrel (“harmonic flutting” - to help cancel barrel whip).
15. Serbu - “BFG-50A”, semi-auto, 50 BMG rifle. Pics - #1, #2, #3 (3-lug bolt).
16. Ten-X Tactical - TX-50 Reloading Press (not new; for 338 LM, and smaller, through 50 BMG-based cartridges). Pics - #1, #2 (rotate).
SHOT Show® Day 1 (17 Jan 2012) - bits and pieces re ELR, my take away (partial, alpha order):
1. AI – AX AICS, pistol grip version on display. Pics - #1, #2, #3.
2. Alliant Powder – Reloader 33 (RL33), coming soon, “Ideal powder for the 338 Lapua Magnum.” Reloading data included multiple 338LM loads . See interview by Accurate Shooter here.
3. Anzio – simple booth, HUGE hardware – I spent the better part of an hour with Mike Remo, their very personable President. He was of course showing his 50/20 mm screamer… and – the only other significant (metal) object in the booth – a little something new, a SEMI-AUTO version in 20mm X 110 Hispano-Suiza – 81” long w/ 45” barrel and 7.75” x 3” muzzle brake. He’s taking orders NOW for expected delivery in 6 months - expected retail price is $16.5K. Currently has a 4 rd mag, working on a 10; 90#; gas operated, rotating bolt action. Oh…pics (cartridges + both rifle models) - #1 (L-R, 20mm x 102 Vulcan, Anzio 20/50, 20mm x 110 Hispano-Suiza), #2 (quad lug), #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10.
4. Ashbury – Ashbury Precision Ordnance was showing their patented SABER®-FORSST® modular rifle chassis system for the Savage model 110B – see also a great video of their PSR submission which uses that system at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjEHQo0KXM&feature=endscreen&NR=1; they also had a large display of the rapid prototyping work they did in developing their chassis system (every component of the chassis built up using “additive and subtractive fabrication” technology (seriously slick stuff), their Rapid Product Development Center being open for business for engineering services and support work (2012 rate schedule in their capabilities brochure). Pics - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10.
5. Desert Tactical (DTA) – HTI model to be shipping March 20th, its mag well is cut for up to 50 BMG and uses an integrated sheet metal “adaptation” (my term) to fill the gap for smaller rounds like 375 CT (attached), as shipped there will be some stock changes since first announced, including an adjustable cheekpiece, plus heavier scope rings. DTA is now also into ammo, Desert Tactical Munitions (DTM) – 308, 300 WinMag, 338LM, and 50 BMG. Pics - #1, #2, #3.
6. Nightforce – new reticle, “MOAR”, for 3.5x15x, 5.5-22x, and 8-22x NSX scopes – too many bits and pieces to describe. Pics - #1, #2.
7. Remington – to offer “Remington Arms Chassis System (RACS)” In 700 SA/LA. Pics (LA) - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10.
8. Sako – 11 page spread on the M10; bottom line, “modular – configurable – multi-caliber”. Pics - #1, #2, #3, #4, #5.
SHOT Show® Media Day at the Range™ (16 Jan 2012) - bits and pieces re ELR, my take away (partial, alpha order):
1. ArmaLite – AR-50A1, National Match version, back in stock soon, sans barrel flutting.
2. Ashbury Precision Ordnance – found out that my recent unintended “leak” of their new site (announced on the hide) also surprised them, as the site was not yet ready and left open in error – it was then temporarily password protected... BUT it is NOW up! See http://www.ashburyprecisionordnance.com/. Other chassis system pics and videos are on the corporate site here.
3. ELR trainer, Will Ross (Center Shot Long Range Training, WY), in the Cutting Edge stand – great pics of multiple shot groups on man-sized steel out to 2600+. Will post as soon as I can get them from him via e-mail; rifle in stand: custom-stocked, 375 CT. Added to Training page. Media Day pics - #1, #2. Via e-mail - place holder.
4. FNH USA – new model (available this year, in newest 2012 catalog), “Ballista”, 308, 300 WinMag, 338LM (6/9 rds) – bolt, 26” barrel (only, operator interchangeable in under 2/two minutes), fully adjustable ambi-folding stock, barreled receiver isolated from the alum and poly stock via elastomeric cushions. Pics above.
5. PCP Ammo – possibly 338LM and 50 BMG polymer-cased ammo in ’13, per Pete Forras, the Barrett 416 cartridge designer, now with PCP; cases potentially reloadable, steel alloy base (no loose primers), again, per Pete Forras.
Site Update (15 Jan 2012):
Additions and updates since 8 Jan 2012:
Rifles - dropped Lawton (legally out of business); dropped LongShot Rifles (website says, “LongShot Rifles is closed and filing chapter 7 bankruptcy...”); Saxonia (Germany, Big-Valve M2)
Rifle Components - dropped Lawton (legally out of business)
Gunsmiths - dropped LongShot Rifles (website says, “LongShot Rifles is closed and filing chapter 7 bankruptcy...”)
Associations/Clubs - FCSA Switzerland and photo gallery; added FCSA/UK photo gallery
Completed a comprehensive, site-wide link check.
Site Update (8 Jan 2012):
Additions and updates since 1 Jan 2012:
Rifles - Ashbury Precision Ordnance (ASW50), Pierce (custom builds)
Rifle Components - Ashbury Precision Ordnance (stocks), Kinetic Research (stock - for TRG-42), Precision Rifle & Tool (stocks)
Ammunition Components - comprehensive link check; dropped HSM (T50 solid) bullets (missing from site - via e-mail says out-of-stock but other OOS items are still listed but noted as OOS; will add back when back online); Poly Gun Bags - “mil spec” solids (50 cal)
Gunsmiths - Pierce (MI), Precision Rifle & Tool (NC)
Site Update (1 Jan 2012):
Additions and updates since 25 Dec 2011:
Rifles - Fortmeier (Germany)
Rifle Components - Pierce (actions - including Ti); McMillan (new stocks - see red NEW on menus - here and here)
Products/Misc - ammo-one.com (single cartridge sales for collectors)
Gunsmiths - Phoenix Custom Rifles (AZ)
Cartridges - 416 TYR (10.6x60 Grillmayer); moved CIP/SAAMI links to the Cartridges page and expanded to include cartridge-specific link info
Site Update (25 Dec 2011):
Additions and updates since 18 Dec 2011:
Rifle Components - comprehensive link check, Whidden Composite Works (stocks)
Reloading Equipment - 21st Century (concentricity checker)
Site Update (18 Dec 2011):
Additions and updates since 11 Dec 2011:
Miscellaneous adds - ArmaLite (brake), BATFE (info), “Build your virtual rifle” capability for Accuracy International AX series rifles (except AX50), Corbin (2 - reloading), Precision Reflex (rings)
Site Update (11 Dec 2011):
Additions and updates since 4 Dec 2011:
Rifles - Accuracy International AS50, Ashbury Precision Ordnance “SABER-FORSST/ASW” video; Barnard “10s” (408 CT); Christensen Arms “Carbon One Tactical” (338 LM); Remington LE “MSR” video; Sero “Gepard” video; Thor Rifles - M375, XM408 variant, XM50, and “custom”; Truvelo 338 LM
Reloading Equipment/Aids - Patagonia Ballistics (ballistics calculator +)
Site Update (4 Dec 2011):
Additions and updates since 27 Nov 2011:
Rifle Components/Actions - image-set (receiver and bolt) of the RLFCO (Fisher) 50 BMG action; Barnard PLM (338 LM repeater) action
Site Update (27 Nov 2011):
Additions and updates since 20 Nov 2011:
Rifles - MICOR Defense (Leader 50)
Rifle Components - Miracle Machine Works (extended elevation scope base)
Ammunition Components - dropped Northwest Custom Projectile (NwCP) as they appear to be out of business (only .510 matrix affected)
Reloading Equipment - 21st Century added “Stainless Steel Benchrest Quality Primer Tool (Seater)”
Retailer/E-tailers - Accuracy International SRT, Mile High Shooting Accessories, Tac Pro
Training - added CA location to “Rifle Only”
Site Update (20 Nov 2011):
Additions and updates since 13 Nov 2011:
Rifles - Weatherby Mark V Accumark 338 Lapua, Mark V TRR RC (338 LM), Mark V TRR Custom Magnum (338 LM)
Ammunition Components - Prvi Partizan (12.7x108mm brass)
Site Update (13 Nov 2011):
Additions and updates since 6 Nov 2011:
Rifles - Underground Skunkworks is now BlackOps Precision
Rifle Components - McGowen (barrels)
Ammunition Components - Berger (dropped Gen 1 338, no longer listed on their site), Lazzeroni (added 338/185 bullet)
Site Update (6 Nov 2011):
Additions and updates since 30 Oct 2011:
Ammunition Components - HSM (brass - produced by Bertram)
Reloading Equipment - RCE (presses)
Information/Associations & Clubs - added Photo Gallery to FSCA link
Site Update (30 Oct 2011):
Additions and updates since 23 Oct 2011:
Rifle Components - Rock Creek (bipods)
Ammunition Components - HSM (bullets - updated associated matrixes)
Retailers/E-tailers - HSM
Site Update (23 Oct 2011):
Additions and updates since 16 Oct 2011:
Rifle Components/Actions - removed Lawton (out of business); added Cadex Defence (stocks)
Ammunition Components/Brass and Bullets - removed Jamison (at least temporarily out of business), updated matrixes
Site Update (16 Oct 2011):
Additions and updates since 9 Oct 2011:
Rifles - Bohica removed (appears likely out of business, website defunct)
Gunsmiths - RW Snyder (IA)
Cartridges - added a package of 12 reamer drawings from Pacific Tool and Gauge (see Cartridges page)
Site Update (9 Oct 2011):
Additions and updates since 2 Oct 2011:
Ranges - Cool Acres Sporting Camp (GA), Emert Ranch Shooting Range (TX)
Site Update (2 Oct 2011):
Additions and updates since 25 Sep 2011 - see below.
RPA (September 2011) - “Rangemaster 338 STBY” (338 Lapua Magnum) model tactical rifle announced.
Valdada (September 2011) - “12-52 x 56mm Terminator” tactical scope introduced.
Site Update (25 Sep 2011):
Additions and updates since 18 Sep 2011 - see below.
Allen Precision Shooting (24 September 2011) - website launched (updated Rifles, Actions, Muzzle Brakes, and Gunsmiths sections accordingly)
Site Update (18 Sep 2011):
Additions and updates since 11 Sep 2011:
Rifles - removed Nighthawk Tactical (appears to have dropped rifles - no site info, tab link goes 404, and didn’t return my two e-mails asking whether discontinued); added Prechtl (GS04 F-Class); Sako TRG M10 (temp info link)
Rifle Components - Prechtl (GS04 EL action)
Gunsmiths - Van Dyke Rifle Designs
Site Update (11 Sep 2011):
Additions and updates since 4 Sep 2011:
Rifle Components - The Gun Room Co., LLC/Noreen (action)
Site Update (4 Sep 2011):
Additions and updates since 28 Aug 2011:
Only minor changes and fixes this week.
Site Update (28 Aug 2011):
Additions and updates since 21 Aug 2011:
Rifles – Danish Gun Tech
Rifle Components – Danish Gun Tech (action)
Gunsmiths – Montour County Rifles (PA)
Ranges – Rockcastle Shooting Center (KY)
Training – Big K Ranch (OR)
Cartridges – 338 Edge +P
Defensive Edge (27 August 2011) – “338 Edge + P” now available”, see their announcement on LRH (here)
Weatherby (24 August 2011) – I have confirmed that Weatherby will be releasing two rifles in 338 LM late this year. One will be their tactical-style Mark V TTR Custom Magnum and the other will be a Mark V Accumark. The linked web pages are for current models in the respective product families.
Site Update (21 Aug 2011):
Additions and updates since 14 Aug 2011:
Rifles – Freshour (P-50), L & G Weaponry (AR conversion), Metals-N-More (Kentucky Long Rifle)
Rifle Components – Russ Schuler (muzzle brakes), TriTech Training (muzzle brakes)
Ammunition Components – Hooker Tactical (bullets), Hornady (.416, 450 gr BTHP) – associated matrixes updated accordingly
Reloading Equipment – Giraud (case trimmer), Match Prep/Gracey (case trimmer)
Cartridges – 14.5 JDJ
Information/Associations and Clubs – FCSA UK
Information/Info Sites - AmmoGuide
Site Update (14 Aug 2011):
Additions and updates since 7 Aug 2011:
Rifles – Arms Tech Limited (TTR-50), Dakota Arms (Longbow Tactical Deployment Rifle), Evolution USA (Phantom III LR and Phantom III Delta)
Rifle Components – Allied Precision Arms (bipods), Proof Research (carbon-fiber barrel wrapping/barrels), RLFCO/Fisher (action)
Ammunition Components – Accurate Bullet Company, Alliance Armament, Northwest Custom Projectile
Reloading Equipment – Dillon Precision (press, dies, priming tools, and case prep)
Training – Warriorschool
Weaver (12 August 2011) - Unveils Tactical Scopes Featuring Illuminated Reticles, as well as Specialized Tactical Accessories (press release)
Proof Research (11 August 2011) – Advanced Barrel Systems (ABS) is now Proof Research.
Desert Tactical Arms (9 August 2011) – HTI sniper rifle ready for pre-order (press release)
Site Update (7 Aug 2011):
Additions and updates since 31 Jul 2011:
Rifles - Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply (ATRS)
Rifle Components – ATRS (muzzle brales), Near Manufacturing (scope bases and rings)
Ammunition Components – Berger 338, 300 gr. Match Tactical Hybrid OTM (updated 338 bullet matrix)
Reloading Equipment – My Weigh (scales)
Products Misc - Osprey (50 BMG laser boresight)
Site Update (31 Jul 2011):
Additions and updates since 24 Jul 2011:
Rifles - Harris Gunworks, Iron Brigade Armory, Tactical Rifles
Retailers/E-tailers - GunBroker.com, Gun Genie, Impact Guns
Info/Info - GunWiki, Military Factory, Paul Mulcahy’s Pages, Small Arms Illustrated
Berger (30 Jul 2011) - 338, 300 gr, Match Tactical Hybrid OTM introduced - additional article
Site Update (24 Jul 2011):
Additions and updates since 17 Jul 2011:
Rifles – Gottfried Prechtl/GOL, Quarter Minute Magnums
Rifle Components – Benchmark (barrels), RFour (barrels), RFLCO (muzzle brakes)
Training – D.O.A. Tactical
Site Update (17 Jul 2011):
Additions and updates since 10 Jul 2011:
Rifles - Accuracy International AW
Rifle Components - Grizzly Gunworks (muzzle brakes)
Retailers/E-tailers - Sniper Country PX
Training – Sniper Tools, Thunder Beast
Articles – Litz Tests Android OS Ballistics App at Ultra-Long Ranges (AccurateShooter.com)
Site Update (10 Jul 2011):
Additions and updates since 3 Jul 2011:
Ammunition Components – Dynamic Research (Predator) - updated bullets matrixes accordingly
Products/Misc – Southwest Ammunition
Training - Precision Rifle Workshop
McMillan (9 Jul 2011) - adds Extreme Outer Limits (EOL) Long Range Hunter (LRH) in 338 LM
Cerakote (8 Jul 2011) – has updated its Firearms Training Manual; download.
Nesika (6 Jul 2011) – website moved to parent’s site, Dakota Arms - links updated; dropped their Heavy Tactical rifle (not shown on DA site).
Barrett (16 Jun 2011 - missed) - added non-detachable-magazine version of the 416 Barrett 82A1.
Site Update (3 Jul 2011):
Additions and updates since 26 Jun 2011:
Rifles – Montana Rifle Company
Rifle Components – Montana Rifleman (barrels)
Reloading Equipment – Hamilton & Sons (Geo AZ products), K&M, M2 Precision
Info/Cartridges – 416 Viersco Magnum, 458 Viersco Magnum, 50 BMG Match
21st Century (30 Jun 2011) – added 338 LM support (neck turning lathe)
Site Update (26 Jun 2011):
Additions and updates since 19 Jun 2011:
Rifles – Ashbury ASW338LM, GOL-Sniper, Remington LE 40-XS Tactical Rifle 338 and 700P/TWS, Remington Defense M24-A3 and MSR, ZVI Falcon
Rifle Components - Accuracy International (stocks)
Information/Info Sites – Sniper Central, World Guns
Information/Pubs, Article, and Photos - Australian Long Range Shooter Magazine, XLR chassis review from LRH, “Pressure Points” article from VHM/LRH
Drake Associates (approx 23 Jun 2011) - “Drake Associates is pleased to announce that we are now the United States representative for Rangemaster Precision Arms weapon systems...”
Jamison (21 Jun 2011) – added 338 LM loaded ammo offerings (250 gr SPBT and 250 gr HPBT)
Site Update (19 Jun 2011):
Additions and updates since 12 Jun 2011:
Rifles – AMSD, Barnard ‘grande puissance”, Bluegrass Armory Moon Shiner, Halo Arms HA 50 FTR, Keppeler, Sero (Gepard), SIG Sauer Tactical 2, Steyr SSG 08, Swiss Arms, Truvelo
Rifle Components – B&T Ind. (bipods), X-Caliber X-VIP (bipods)
Products/ Misc – SKB Cases (rifle cases), Starlight Cases (rifle cases)
Training – Rifles Only
Remington LE (17 Jun 2011) – after reading some concerns expressed by forum members on one of AccurateShooter.com’s forums about the appropriateness of the 338 LM chambering of a Remington 700 action, I contacted Remington LE (the Remington division that markets the 700 MLR) to pose a few questions. Here are the responses I received (my question preceding their response):
1. How is the bolt modified, if at all, beyond opening up the bolt face on a standard 700 LA .700 bolt to .590 (approx)? [Remington] Bolt head and body are modified to accept the external extractor. Ejector position moved to ‘3 o’clock’ position versus typical ‘4 o’clock’ in standard bolt.
2. Is the receiver diameter enlarged? [Remington] No.
3. Is the barrel thread other than 1 1/16 x 16 tpi? [Remington] No
4. Is the bolt and/or barrel steel of higher strength - by way of hardening, different materials, different processing, etc?[Remington] No
Site Update (12 Jun 2011):
Additions and updates since 5 Jun 2011:
Rifles - Brugger & Thomet, Collier, JARD, Lawton, LongRifles, Nesika, PGW, Remington LE, Savage 110 FCP HS Precision and 111 Long Range Hunter, Selby/Randy’s Custom Rifles, Surgeon, Zbroyar,
Rifle Components – Broughton, Lawton, and Lothar Walther barrels; Selby muzzle brakes; JARD triggers
Ammunition Components – all four matrixes updated with GS Custom “SP” model data
Products/Misc – AAA Arms & Ammo and TTI Armory (ammo); LV Steel Targets
Gunsmiths – Straight Shot
Ranges – Mifflin and Tac Pro; also added info on “50 BMG OK?” for each range
Retailer – Stocky’s
GS Custom (12 Jun 2011) - added to SP line, including 510s thru 1100 gr.
Savage (9 Jun 2011) - introduced additional models in 338 LM (110 FCP HS Precision and 111 Long Range Hunter)
Cutting Edge Bullets (7 Jun 2011) - 762 and 802 gr 50 cal bullets (call re details and to order, not yet on sales page)
Site Update (5 Jun 2011) - A bit over one month since launch, after some 1500 hits (at most well under 100 of my own in the process of maintaining and expanding), and after a very small handful of suggestions, here’s a site update:
Added a navigation section at the top of each page
Added site-wide search capability
Rifles – up to 61 companies, added color coding for the major cartridges
Rifle Components – up to 16 action/receiver companies, 10 barrel companies, 8 brake companies, 19 scope/base/rings companies, 18 stock and bipod companies, and 7 trigger companies
Ammunition Components (major work here) – up to 18 brass companies (added color coding for the major cartridges), up to 19 bullet/projectile companies (plus four matrixes going down to the company, product name, weight, model number, and link for 338, 375, 408, 416, 458, and 510 calibers, all in PDF format), up to 7 powder companies, and up to 7 primer companies
Reloading Equipment - up to 61 companies/items
Miscellaneous products – up to 21 companies/items
Gunsmiths – up to 22 companies
Ranges – up to 25
Retailers/E-tailers – up to 22
Training section added – 21 companies
Cartridges – up to 27 (with 3 chamber reamers drawings, and many more to come, courtesy of Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge, plus CIP and SAAMI drawing links in the Reloading Equipment/Aids section)
Minimal expansion in Associations and Clubs, Information Sites and Forums, Legal, and Pubs, Articles, and Photos.
News section added – this update being the first post. I expect to add more interesting posts shortly and then do a weekly update based on what I can glean from the 100s of linked sites.
I think you’ll find the site to be an excellent start at exactly what it is intended to be, a resource for the ELR shooting community.
Finally, I really need feedback on what I’ve missed, what I’ve gotten wrong, and how the site can be improved to serve you. It’s a non-commercial site. It will get better faster with your help.
Thank you and God Bless!
Defiance Machine (5 Jun 2011) - Jeff Badelt, of Defiance Machine, reports, “We’re progressing on development of our 50 Cal (action) and anticipate availability later this year. Please call or write with details if you’d like to order an action.”
MFR (1 May 2011) - site launched.